Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship Program 2017/2018.
April 20, 2017 – The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program’s 2017-2018 competition is now open to both Canadian and international researchers who have recently completed a PhD, PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree.
- Program name: Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Funding organization: Government of Canada
- Target audiences: Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens
- Duration: 2 years (non-renewable)
- Value: 70,000 CAD per year
- Number of scholarships: up to 70
- Deadline: September 20, 2017
Confirm that you and your proposed host institution meet the criteria below before you apply for a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship.
Applications that do not meet all of the eligibility criteria will not be accepted.
Citizenship and location of host institution
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to apply with the following stipulations:
- applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution,
- applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution, and
- applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
For a list of eligible health professions, please see CIHR’s webpage.
The Banting PDF program previously had a limit of 25% on the number of awards granted to postdoctoral trainees for tenure abroad. This limit has been removed, effective as of the 2017-2018 competition.
Eligibility window for degree completion
Applicants to the 2017-18 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must fulfill or have fulfilled all degree requirements for a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree:
- between September 20, 2014 and September 30, 2018 (inclusively), and
- before the start date of their award.
Applicants who have not fulfilled all requirements for their degree at the time of application must submit proof no later than October 15, 2018.
Allowable extensions to eligibility window
The window of eligibility can be extended by a cumulative maximum of two years if the applicant had their career interrupted for the following reasons:
- Parental leave
- Health-related family responsibilities
- Mandatory military service
Additionally, for health professionals who have engaged in post-degree non-research related clinical training (e.g. residency) – the eligibility window can be extended by the duration of this training.
No other exceptions will be allowed.
Interruptions used to extend the eligibility window for degree completion must have occurred after the fulfilment of your degree requirements and before the application submission deadline.
Justification must be provided in Special circumstances.
“Fulfilled all requirements of the degree” refers to the date that the applicant completed all the steps required for obtaining their degree. Although these requirements may vary by institution and degree type, they normally include thesis defence corrections and thesis deposition. It is not the convocation date.
Host institution eligibility
Institutions eligible to host a Banting Fellow include Canadian and foreign universities, affiliated research hospitals, colleges and not-for-profit organizations with a strong research mandate and capacity.
Canadian governments (federal, provincial and municipal) and all for-profit organizations are not eligible to participate as host institutions.
Please contact the Vanier-Banting Secretariat with any questions regarding institutional eligibility well in advance of the submission deadline.
Other eligibility restrictions
- Applicants who currently hold or have held agency-specific (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC) awards at the postdoctoral level are eligible to apply to the 2017-18 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program only if the term of that funding officially ends on or before September 30, 2018 and prior to the start of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship. Early termination of the agency-specific postdoctoral award for the purpose of application to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is not permitted.
- Applicants can apply for both the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program and other agency-specific postdoctoral fellowships programs (whether to the same or a different federal granting agency) at the same time, provided that the research proposed in each application falls within the mandate of the federal granting agency to which the application is submitted. For more information, please refer to Identify area of research.
*Applicants who are successful in both competitions will have to choose which award to accept.
- Applicants must not hold a tenure-track or tenured faculty position, nor can they be on leave from such a positionFootnote1.
- Only in exceptionally rare circumstances will a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship be awarded to an applicant who is staying at the same institution or within the same research environment where they completed their PhD, PhD– equivalent or health professional degree. If an applicant chooses to apply in collaboration with the same institution (or its affiliated hospitals, research centres and other laboratories or within the same research environment) at which they obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree, a solid justification must be provided in Special circumstances.
- Applicants can submit only one application per competition year to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program.
- Without exception, Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships:
- are tenable only at the institution which supported the original application for the program
- must be taken up no earlier than April 1st and no later than October 1st following the year of application
- are for two years
- can only be held once in a lifetime
For more information, visit Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships.